When it comes to special care worker, a state of emergency is coming

The Latest on the shooting death of a Connecticut nursing assistant in Connecticut (all times local): 7:15 p.m.

The National Guard is on standby for the Connecticut Statehouse.

The statehouse has been placed on lockdown as law enforcement officials assess the situation.

Gov.

Dannel Malloy ordered the emergency declaration on Saturday night.

He said it would last until Tuesday, which would be an extra 24 hours.

Malloy added that the state was “working with our federal partners to ensure that Connecticut has all the resources we need to protect the safety and security of our citizens.”

Malloy said the state would deploy at least two additional National Guard brigades to help with the security of the Capitol.

Mallory said he would also meet with state and local officials and ask them to provide “immediate financial and other assistance.”

The state has about $1.5 billion in emergency relief in the state budget.

About $300 million will be used for a new school for special education students, the governor said.

He urged residents to stay indoors and to stay alert for any suspicious activity.

The governor said the governor is meeting with the Secret Service.

He did not say whether he was aware of any other threats or whether there had been any fatalities.

Mallores emergency declaration will be considered by the state’s Joint Emergency Management Committee.

Mallively said that if any other information comes in about an individual, it will be shared with law enforcement.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Related Post